Baby, it’s snowing outside! Whether you’re out playing in the snow or sitting by the window watching those beautiful flakes drift down – just admit it – you’re craving green chile stew. If you don’t have an abuelita cooking some up for you in the kitchen, here are five places in New Mexico to enjoy some of the best:
1. Maria’s, Cordova and St. Francis, Santa Fe: Margaritas on the rocks are fine in summer, but right now we want to sit by the fire and get warm inside and out. While Maria’s, our old SF favorite, has been a bit disappointing lately, one place she never falters is in her savory green chile stew, a spicy bowl of all that is good in life.
2. Garcia’s Kitchen, Central near Old Town or North 4th St. NW, Albuquerque: With the flavor and sustenance to cure a cold or comfort a broken heart, a big bowl of green is a must-do to take the chill off a wintry afternoon.
3. Martin’s Capitol Cafe, downtown Roswell: Big booths, dim and homey, with old-time downright friendly service, it’s a tossup between red and green at this lunchtime stop for locals. Remember, the UFO’s landed here for a reason, and this could be it.
4. Charlie’s Spic ‘n Span, Downtown Las Vegas: Watch the tortillas being made by hand while you dip into a big bowl of deliciousness in this local hangout with the big cream puff sign. A must-stop for me en route between Raton and points south.
5. Tia Sofia’s, San Francisco St., Santa Fe: OK, if you’re gonna make me pick a favorite, T.S. has perfected the balance of flavors in its filling and fulfilling green chile stew. No doubt the best.